The Dinner Party History Blog

...a record of conviviality by a forgetful cook ...

Chowing Down Through History

Sunday 29 January 2012

A quick burger recipe

Here in the hollow volcano, resources are scarce. It can be hard to get some items that you might regard as 'normal' for a chef (such as a good range of fresh herbs for example!). On the other hand, sometimes all you want to do is rustle up something simple with what you've got.


'Simple' needn't mean 'boring'...

I had some ground beef , some onions and a few storecupboard staples. What to make for Saturday night? BURGERS. I'm on a low carb hit at the moment, recovering from Christmas, so no bread rolls, baps, fries, rice or nachos , just honest to goodness fresh meat on the griddle, backed up with some spicy sweetness. :

500g ground beef
large white onion
teaspoon (respectively) cumin, coriander, ground black pepper and mixed herbs
Worcestershire Sauce to taste

and then...

about 25% of a jar of pickled jalapenos chopped REALLY finely.
  (Jalapenos, in a jar, waiting to be chopped finely)

mix it all up, roll it into little patties and slap it on the hot griddle/skillet and thats it...really, who says they can't cook? How hard can it be?

I topped mine with a fried egg and, do you know what? They were fabulous (ahem, if I say so myself). I think the sweetness and slight spice of the chillies really makes a depth to the taste. Next time, I'm going to make them a day in advance and see if the flavour deepens - I bet it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment